Friday, June 10, 2011

Send Some Rain

Sometimes (often for me), God speaks through poetry. The Psalms are the most obvious example, but I also think God can speak through literature, songs, and the poetry in nature. Last night, a friend of mine sat down at my electric upright piano and began playing a song from memory - "Gratitude" by Nicole Nordeman. The piano music is gorgeous in and of itself, but these particular lyrics spoke to me:


Send some rain, would You send some rain?
'Cause the earth is dry and needs to drink again
And the sun is high and we are sinking in the shade
Would You send a cloud, thunder long and loud?
Let the sky grow black and send some mercy down
Surely You can see that we are thirsty and afraid
But maybe not, not today
Maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case . . .

(Chorus)
We'll give thanks to You
With gratitude
For lessons learned in how to thirst for You
How to bless the very sun that warms our face
If You never send us rain

These lyrics reminded me of a day recently when my spirit was under a storm cloud. I trusted the Lord in the midst of the sorrow. I was more thankful than ever for His nearness. I had been feeling dry spiritually, and I knew that it was because I was clinging too much to happiness, which is only temporary. The next day, the Lord reminded me that my life's purpose is to glorify Him, not to achieve happiness. So, really, I might be sad and that might be His will because it means my character is growing stronger for His purposes. (Romans 8:28, James 1:2-4). 

And yet, in that day of deep sorrow (it was a familiar place for me, but it had been a while since I had been there), all I wanted was the Lord's nearness (Psalm 73:26,28). I knew I could not remain in this place forever, but I also knew God could teach me in the midst of the feelings.

When it started raining - not a drizzle, but a downpour with thunder and lightning, the kind of storm that drives people indoors - I thanked God for answering a prayer I hadn't even asked. "Send some rain...cause the earth is dry and needs to drink again...Let the sky grow black and send some mercy down. Surely you can see that we are thirsty and afraid." I was lightheaded from laying out in the sun of happy days for too long. I was high on life (not a bad state of being if I am laying every blessings back at the Lord's feet). But, I was dry. I didn't want him to take away what he took away, but oh how lovely the rain felt on my thirsty soul. 

"You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?" - Psalm 56:8

As I listened to the rain and remained sheltered away from the storm, I had this sense of God crying with me or pouring out these tears of mine that He had stored in a bottle. Physically it was raining to remind me of His compassion and mercy and to stir me to gratitude, to love for my Savior (Hero, Husband, Maker, Redeemer), to a movement forward into His purposes for me. 

Sometimes, the rain doesn't come. The rain is a gift, not guaranteed in times of thirst. But, the lesson is always there. Most importantly, God is always there, maybe silent but not absent. 

"This I know, that God is for me. In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me. I must perform my vows to you, O God; I will render thank offerings to you. For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life." - Psalm 56:10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment